“So you’re sitting there, looking at a computer screen or maybe a printout, reading this tip while your eyes scan across the page taking in each letter, each and every word, becoming even more curious about hypnosis with each and every breath you take.”
What you probably don’t realize is that the above sentence is hypnotic in nature.
When we talk to people, for the most part, we are trying to influence them. We’re taking a concept from our mind and trying to communicate it in words that will hopefully make the same concept in their mind. This doesn’t always work. Sometimes, the other people won’t listen, no matter how good your concept is. Here are a few from my life that I can think of. Maybe you can relate:
- Telling the boss you need a raise or a vacation.
- Telling your children they need to brush their teeth.
- Telling the officer your speeding was just an accident.
- Telling your parents you’ll be at the in-laws for that holiday this year.
So, how would you like to be able to deliver your communication in a way that meets the least amount of resistance? That would be useful, wouldn’t it? Of course it would! And the answer is hypnotic language.
In this issue, we’re talking about the hypnotic language pattern called, “Pacing Current Reality.”
The concept is really simple. State a chain of things to the other person that are undeniably true, then state what you desire.
What this does is create a repetitiveness in the other party to continually say, “Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, etc”
In my opening line, you’re probably sitting there (yes), looking at a computer screen or maybe a printout (yes), reading this tip (obviously, yes) while your eyes are scanning the page (yes), taking in each letter (yes), each and every word (yes) – and here comes the part I want you to agree with – becoming even more curious about hypnosis with each and every breath you take (YES!).
See how easy it is? Now, some of you might be thinking this would sound funny in regular conversation.
Let me assure you it doesn’t.
This technique is not exclusive to hypnosis. It has been borrowed by the sales industry and they call it “Yes sets.” Not only is it used in everyday conversations, it’s very powerful! Try it!
Let’s see how the above examples work now, using this every-day hypnotic language:
- Joe, you’re the boss. It’s your job to manage us employees and to reward us when we excel. There’s extra money in the budget this year, and I’ve done an excellent job. I’d like you to consider giving me a raise.
- Timmy, I know you want to go to Disneyland tomorrow. It’s past 8pm, you’ve got your PJs on, and your TV show is over. Why don’t you go brush your teeth and crawl into bed.
- Sir, I’ve realized that I was speeding. I know it’s your job to keep people safe, and you pulled me over for a very good reason. You can see my record is clean and I am a very good driver. I hope you can let me off with a warning this time.
- Mom, Dad. I hate your turkey. (Just kidding)
As you can see, these yes sets are very powerful. Play around with them and practice them well. For a full course on hypnotic language, come join us at the NLP Practitioner Training in September. We’ll share with you everything you need to know to integrate this language pattern and many, many more into your everyday language and become a master communicator.