Good spellers are not born, they’re made. The same is true for bad spellers. Bad spellers are not learning disabled – they were teacher disabled. Spelling is simply a strategy, and can be changed almost instantly.
Informal Elicitation of the Spelling Strategy
- "When, I give you a word, what’s the first thing you do inside your mind?"
- "So first you (V/A/K). What’s the next thing?"
- "When you see/hear/feel that, how do you know that it’s right?"
Make sure the strategy includes a way for them to know if the word is right. Some spellers don’t have one. Get only as much detail as you need.
Inappropriate Spelling Strategies
- Begins with a feeling (Ki-)
- Phonetic - sounding it out. Only 50% accuracy.
- VC- creative spelling - piece by piece
Excellent Spelling Strategy
- When asked to spell the word they may repeat it internally (Ad).
- See the word (VR) may defocus rapidly. If asked to spell backwards, they can do it rapidly
- Feeling of familiarity or not (Ki+/-). Look for shift in breathing or gestures.
- How good of a speller they are depends on what they read.
- Secondary strategy for words for which no memory image exists (VC). If there’s no feeling of familiarity, use Visual Construct until the person gets the feeling.
- Results should create a positive Kinesthetic as a motivator for continual improvement.
Installing The Spelling Strategy
- "Do you have any objections to being a good speller?"
- New strategy is only for the context of spelling.
- New strategy will not result in instantly being an expert speller but will result in rapid improvement.
- Check for reverse wiring.
- "Can you think of a good friend?"
- Simplest method is rehearsing.
- Reframe only if necessary.
- "I am going to give you a word. As soon as I do, look up here (hold hand in their visual remember), allow an image of the word to appear, and as soon as it does, look down here (hold hand in their K) to get a feeling of familiarity or not."
- Use simple words initially.
- Have them spell words in reverse.
- People try to create the word while looking in visual remembered. "Look up here and wait until you see the word the way you have seen it before. Allow the image to pop up."
- If people draw a blank, write out the word and hold it up in visual remember. Have them look at it and then close their eyes and see it internally as a memory image.
- Hold the word up for a short period. If too long some people will try to describe it rather than see it.
- Have them visualize the word on something that they can remember easily.
- A person keeps going back to their old strategy rather than using the new one. Reframe the persistent voice. If first step is a negative K, then create a resource anchor (or use a dissociated-state rehearsal if necessary).
Back to the NLP Guide
Four Ways To Learn More NLP
At Transform Destiny, we have something for everyone. You'll find the materials that meet your budget and desire for knowledge. That's why we have these four resources for you:
Learn the foundations of NLP for self-improvement and communication. This is an introductory video course will give you a great taste of NLP and tools that you can use immediately. Visit www.freenlphomestudy.com for more info.
2. Live NLP Certification Trainings
Get certified in our live NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
Click to learn more about our Live NLP Home Certification Training
3. Online NLP Certification Trainings
Or get certified from home more in our online NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
Click to learn more about our Online NLP Home Certification Training
4. Continue Reading the Free NLP Guide and Get Our Free Hypnosis and NLP Newsletter
Our NLP Guide is entirely free, and you can browse it for scripts and instructions on all the Practitioner level NLP material. Visit the free NLP Guide at www.transformdestiny.com/nlp-guide.
Our monthly newsletter is also free, offering you lessons, tips and advice on hypnosis and NLP. You can sign up for our newsletter here.