NLP Motivation Strategies
People either move toward or away. People who move toward too strongly may never get around to doing unpleasant things which are necessary. People who move away may never move until things get bad enough. The key to motivation is to be able easily and effortlessly to do things that are unpleasant. Most people do not need help in doing things that are pleasant.
Typical Motivation Strategies
- Visual construct of task accomplished leading to positive K.
- VC of negative consequence of not doing task leading to negative K.
Motivation strategies are related to procrastination strategies. They are the flip sides of the same phenomenon.
- Voice (if present) has good tonality.
- Voice uses modal operators of possibility instead of necessity.
- Includes a representation of what is desirable about the task (the completion or consequences) rather than a representation of the process of doing the task.
- The task is chunked appropriately.
- Toward strategies are more enjoyable and result in less stress than away.
- Toward, away and mixed strategies work; mixed is the most general.
- If mixed, think of negative first and then positive.
- Try to replace away with toward strategy. Set frame that "if you do not learn a new strategy you will have to feel bad over and over again in the future" which uses their current strategy of moving away.
- Association and dissociation are critical elements.
- Good strategies work across contexts.
- Always check ecology before removing negative feelings or anxiety.
- It may be necessary to adjust the SubModalities of the representation of the task being done in order to get a strongly motivated response.
- If representing the task as completed does not produce strong motivation, then focus on the consequences.
- Procrastinators are often good planners.
Example of a Good Motivational Strategy:
Ad in pleasant voice "It will be so good when it is done." leading to visual construct of completed task of positive consequences leading to a positive K leading to beginning the task or future pacing appropriately.
Typical Problems With Motivation Strategies
- 1. Begins with Overwhelm: Person begins with feeling of overwhelm and needs to chunk down.
- 2. The person only moves away. Either this is not enough to motivate them or the person experiences too much stress, anxiety and unpleasantness.
- 3. Uses MOP's of Necessity: Person uses modal operators of necessity with harsh tonality resulting in bad feelings.
- 4. Caution: There are some things that one should move away from. Be careful about removing away strategies entirely. It is better to design a strategy with both elements.
Typical Problems With Decision Strategies
- Problems with generating options.
- No visual construct.
- Not enough options.
- Only one choice.
- Person keeps generating choices with no way to exit.
- Problems with representing options.
- Options are not represented in all representational systems which makes it difficult to evaluate them.
- Person needs to go external to get necessary data.
- Options and criteria are not revised according to circumstances.
- Problems with evaluating options.
- Criteria for selection are inappropriate.
- Criteria are not prioritized.
- Criteria are considered sequentially and separately rather than simultaneously. Polarity response is an example.
- Person does not get an overall evaluation of each criterion.
- Strategy Components and Elements
- Strategies - TOTE and Well Formedness Conditions
- Strategies - Design and Installation
- Strategies - Representational Systems
- Learning Strategies
- Spelling Strategies
- Strategy Elicitation
Four Ways To Learn More NLP
At Transform Destiny, we have something for everyone. You'll find the materials that meet your budget and desire for knowledge. That's why we have these four resources for you:
Learn the foundations of NLP for self-improvement and communication. This is an introductory video course will give you a great taste of NLP and tools that you can use immediately. Visit www.freenlphomestudy.com for more info.
2. Live NLP Certification Trainings
Get certified in our live NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
3. Online NLP Certification Trainings
Or get certified from home more in our online NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
4. Continue Reading the Free NLP Guide and Get Our Free Hypnosis and NLP Newsletter
Our NLP Guide is entirely free, and you can browse it for scripts and instructions on all the Practitioner level NLP material. Visit the free NLP Guide at www.transformdestiny.com/nlp-guide.
Our monthly newsletter is also free, offering you lessons, tips and advice on hypnosis and NLP. You can sign up for our newsletter here.