Motivation is a delicate balance. People can be motivated toward what they want, away from what they don’t want, or somewhere in between. People who are too “away-from” motivated, might not take action until things are bad enough. People who are too “toward” motivated may never get around to doing things they don’t want, but which are necessary (i.e., taxes). The key to motivation is to be able to easily do things that are unpleasant – most people need no help being motivated to do pleasant things.
Typical Motivation Strategies
- VC → K+: Making a constructed picture of the task, leading to a good feeling.
- VC → K-: Making a constructed picture of the consequences, leading to a negative feeling
Motivation strategies are the flip-side of procrastination strategies.
Effective Motivation Strategies
- Vocal tone is positive
- Modal Operators of Possibility vs. Necessity
- Includes a representation of the positive consequences, rather than just doing the task
- Appropriately chunked
- Toward motivation is more enjoyable and less stressful than away
- Of toward, away and mixed motivations, mixed is the most general
- If mixed, think of negative first to generate momentum, then positive to maintain it
- Try to replace away with toward strategy. Set frame that "if you do not learn a new strategy you will have to feel bad over and over again in the future" which uses their current strategy of moving away.
- Association is a critical element of strategies
- Good strategies work across contexts
- Check ecology before removing negative feelings that are compelling
- Adjust the submodalities for motivation, if necessary
- If thinking of the finished task doesn’t motivate, think of the consequences
- Procrastinators are often good at planning, so leverage that positive resource
Effective Motivation Strategies
Ad → VC → Ki+: In a pleasant voice, saying, “It will be so good to get this done,” leading to a VC of completion and positive consequences, leading to a motivating Ki beginning the task.
Example of a Good Motivational Strategy:
Ad in pleasant voice "It will be so good when it is done." leading to visual construct of completed task of positive consequences leading to a positive K leading to beginning the task or future pacing appropriately.
Typical Problems With Motivation Strategies
- Begins with Overwhelm: Person begins with feeling of overwhelm and needs to chunk down.
- The person only moves away. Either this is not enough to motivate them or the person experiences too much stress, anxiety and unpleasantness.
- Uses MOP's of Necessity: Person uses modal operators of necessity with harsh tonality resulting in bad feelings.
- Caution: There are some things that one should move away from. Be careful about removing away strategies entirely. It is better to design a strategy with both elements.
Typical Problems With Decision Strategies
- Problems with generating options.
- No visual construct.
- Not enough options.
- Only one choice.
- Person keeps generating choices with no way to exit.
- Problems with representing options.
- Options are not represented in all representational systems which makes it difficult to evaluate them.
- Person needs to go external to get necessary data.
- Options and criteria are not revised according to circumstances.
- Problems with evaluating options.
- Criteria for selection are inappropriate.
- Criteria are not prioritized.
- Criteria are considered sequentially and separately rather than simultaneously. Polarity response is an example.
- Person does not get an overall evaluation of each criterion.
Back to the NLP Guide
Four Ways To Learn More NLP
At Transform Destiny, we have something for everyone. You'll find the materials that meet your budget and desire for knowledge. That's why we have these four resources for you:
Learn the foundations of NLP for self-improvement and communication. This is an introductory video course will give you a great taste of NLP and tools that you can use immediately. Visit www.freenlphomestudy.com for more info.
2. Live NLP Certification Trainings
Get certified in our live NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
Click to learn more about our Live NLP Home Certification Training
3. Online NLP Certification Trainings
Or get certified from home more in our online NLP trainings, where you'll learn to master all the skills of NLP at the Practitioner level. Ours are the best trainings in the industry, because, while other institutes train to the lowest required standards, we do more! Our trainings go above and beyond to deliver the most amazing, life-changing experience you've ever attended.
Click to learn more about our Online NLP Home Certification Training
4. Continue Reading the Free NLP Guide and Get Our Free Hypnosis and NLP Newsletter
Our NLP Guide is entirely free, and you can browse it for scripts and instructions on all the Practitioner level NLP material. Visit the free NLP Guide at www.transformdestiny.com/nlp-guide.
Our monthly newsletter is also free, offering you lessons, tips and advice on hypnosis and NLP. You can sign up for our newsletter here.